The Scottish Advisory Panel for Outdoor Education (SAPOE) is the forum where Scotland’s outdoor learning community collaborates to develop best practice in the design and safe delivery of outdoor learning for all children and young people in Scotland.
We are a member-led organisation, with representatives from Local Authorities (LAs), the Scottish Council for Independent Schools (SCIS) and third sector partners including the Association of Heads of Outdoor Centres, the Scottish Adventure Activities Forum, YouthLink and the National Network for Outdoor Learning. We are guided by an Executive Committee and supported by several working groups.
- support Local Authorities in the development of outdoor learning as part of the Curriculum for Excellence (CfE)
- promote and develop consistent good practice across Scotland for off-site visits through the implementation of the framework Going Out There
- support the provision of adventure activities and residential outdoor centres
- champion the impact and value of outdoor learning across education, recreation, tourism and communities, and as part of Scotland’s blue and green economies
- provide a collective voice for Scotland’s outdoor learning sector.